Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Resources
In our commitment to working towards more diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) in STEM, we are providing resources and models that you can directly apply to your association. In order to move forward and truly make an impact, we understand that we must continually research, collaborate, study and listen to these important topics. We strive to regularly update this page with relevant resources as they develop.
CESSE Statement on Racism and Equity
The Council of Engineering and Scientific Society Executives (CESSE) joins with its member's organizations in denouncing the systemic racism and the egregious violent actions that led to the deaths of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery and Breonna Taylor – and so many other victims of racially motivated violence and abuse.
Read Full Statement
CESSE Member Association Statements: Standing Up for Diversity and Inclusion
Together, as a community, we can work towards positive change. Hear how our member associations are taking steps within their organization to stand up for diversity and inclusion.
Read Member Statements (PDF)
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion ResourcesBooks
- So You Want to Talk About Race, Ijeoma Oluo
- Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You, Ibram Kendi and Jason Reynolds
- White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism, Robin DiAngelo
- Antiracism Toolkit for Allies, Duke University Press
- The Ethical Sellout, Lily Zheng
- Gender Ambiguity in the Workplace, Lily Zheng
- The Karma of Brown Folk, Vijay Prashad
- The Fifty-Year Rebellion, Scott Kurashige
- Dirty Diversity
- Silence is Not an Option hosted by Don Lemon
- ASCE Plot Points: Engineering a Culture of Inclusion
- Code Switch (NPR)
- Pod Save the People
- The Will To Change: Uncovering True Stories of Diversity & Inclusion
- 1619 Project
- 2019 CEO Meeting: Surviving the Population Shift: Responding to the Coming Change in National Demographics (Video)
- ACCESSE18: Identifying and Advancing Subtle Biases in the Workplace: Microaggressions (Video)
- ACCESSE19: How to Develop and Implement a Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan (Video)
- ACCESSE19: Consciously Overcoming Unconscious Bias in the Workplace (Video)
Webinars, Videos, and Photos
- Advancing Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Through Action (Webinar)
- Texts to Table: A Conversation About Race and Leadership (Video)
- IF/THEN Collection (Photo and video assets)
- Nappy (Photo assets)
Online DEI Tools
- LinkedIn The Diversity Hiring Playbook (PDF)
- Better Allies: A step-by-step guide on how to use a tool in Slack which would suggest inclusive alternatives when users type in discriminatory or non-inclusive language.
- The Conscious Style Guide: A website that helps writers and editors think critically about the language they use and improve their writing to be more inclusive.
- The Diversity Style Guide: A resource to help journalists and other media professionals cover a complex, multicultural world with accuracy, authority and sensitivity" The site provides a search bar allowing users to find definitions of and information on terms.
- AP Style Guide - updated 6/19/20: A brief article stating that the Associated Press has updated its stylebook to capitalize "Black" and "Indigenous" when referring to people.
- Third Edition of The Language of Inclusion - a free download of over 230 key terms and definitions.
Used by nearly 150,000 HR & Global Diversity and Inclusion Leaders, this tool provides your organization with a vocabulary that expands the knowledge and the comfort level of all employees when engaging in dialogue about Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging in the workplace. From James E. Wright, Diversity & Inclusion Professional
- How to Check for Inclusive Language in Microsoft Word: Microsoft Word can help ensure inclusive language in professional communications by checking your writing for gender bias, age bias, and more.
- Harvard Business Review: Working from Home While Black
- How to Be a Better Ally to Your Black Colleagues
- The 7 Hallmarks of an Antiracist Organization
- How Businesses Can Recruit and Develop More Young People of Color
- Hiring an Interpreter
- Model Minority Myth
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Consultants/speakers
Find diversity and inclusion solutions that achieve results and create sustainable change for the future.
- James Pogue, PhD
- Lenora Billings-Harris
- Kaleidoscope Group
- Ivy Planning Group
- Gloria Cotton, InQuest Consulting